From the Oceans to Your Faucet: The Importance of Clean Water
Clean water is essential for all life on Earth, yet it is a precious resource that is often taken for granted. Unfortunately, our waterways and oceans are being polluted with waste and plastic at an alarming rate. The Great Global Cleanup initiative, launched by Earth Day Network, aims to address this issue by mobilizing individuals and communities around the world to take action and rid the environment of waste and plastic pollution for good. By participating in this initiative, we can help create a waste-free world and ensure that clean water is available for generations to come.
Water is a finite resource: we can't make more of it than there already is. But all over the world people are using up this precious resource faster than nature can replenish it--and that's causing problems everywhere from drinking fountains in parks to lakes at national parks across the planet. It's not just about having enough clean water for ourselves; we need to be sure there will always be enough clean water for future generations too.
The Importance of Clean Water
Clean water is essential to the health and well-being of the planet and all of its inhabitants. It is critical for sustaining life, public health, agriculture and food security, economic development, and environmental sustainability. Here are some reasons why:
- SUSTAINING LIFE: Water is necessary for all forms of life to survive, from plants to animals to humans. Without clean water, ecosystems would collapse, leading to widespread environmental damage and loss of biodiversity.
- PUBLIC HEALTH: Access to clean water is essential for public health. Contaminated water can spread diseases such as cholera, dysentery, and typhoid fever. Inadequate sanitation and water treatment can also lead to the spread of waterborne illnesses.
- AGRICULTURE AND FOOD SECURITY: Agriculture is one of the largest users of water on the planet. Clean water is essential for growing crops and raising livestock. Without access to clean water, food security would be threatened, leading to hunger and malnutrition.
- ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT: Access to clean water is critical for economic development. Industries such as manufacturing, mining, and energy production require significant amounts of water to operate. In addition, access to clean water is essential for tourism and recreation.
- ENVIRONMENTAL SUSTAINABILITY: Clean water is essential for maintaining a healthy environment. It supports the growth of plants and animals, maintains aquatic habitats, and supports the overall health of ecosystems.
The Impact of Unsafe Water
Water is an essential part of life. It's what we drink, bathe in and use to wash our clothes. But when water isn't safe to drink or use, it can have devastating effects on human health.
Many people around the world suffer from lack of clean drinking water. The lack of clean water causes many health problems, including cholera (which causes severe and life threatening diarrhea) as well as typhoid fever (a bacterial infection that causes fever and abdominal pain). The effects of unsafe water go beyond just human health; they also affect the environment around us too. The problem of water pollution is not just a problem for developing countries. In some U.S. cities, as much as 90% of the tap water comes from surface sources (rivers and lakes), which are often contaminated by both organic and inorganic chemicals. As long as we continue to use these sources for drinking water, the problem will continue to exist--and it's important that we do everything we can to reduce our impact on them.
What Can We Do To Help Solve The Water Crisis?
Together, we can all take small steps to help solve the global water crisis and ensure that clean water is available to everyone, everywhere. Here are some ways that we can help solve the global water crisis this Earth Month and every month.
- CONSERVE WATER: One of the easiest ways to help conserve water is to use it wisely. This includes fixing leaks, taking shorter showers, and turning off the tap while brushing your teeth.
- REDUCE YOUR PLASTIC USE: Plastic pollution is a major contributor to the global water crisis. By reducing your plastic use, you can help reduce the amount of waste that ends up in our waterways.
- SUPPORT ORGANIZATIONS THAT WORK TO PROVIDE CLEAN WATER: There are many organizations, such as Water.org and charity: water, that work to provide clean water to communities in need. Consider donating to these organizations or supporting their fundraising efforts.
- ADVOCATE FOR POLICY CHANGES: Governments play a major role in shaping policies that impact water conservation and management. Advocate for policy changes that protect our water resources and support sustainable water management practices.
- PARTICIPATE IN CLEAN-UP INITIATIVES: Participate in clean-up initiatives such as the Great Global Cleanup initiative to help reduce waste and plastic pollution in our waterways and oceans.
- EDUCATE OTHERS: Spread awareness about the global water crisis and the importance of water conservation. Educate others about ways they can help make a difference in their own communities.
Water.org is a global nonprofit organization that believes water is the best investment the world can make to improve health, empower women, enable access to education, increase family income, and change lives. However, 771 million people around the world still lack access to safe water. For millions of people, access to funds stands between them and safe water and sanitation in their homes.
That’s where Water.org comes in.
Water.org offers smart solutions that break down the financial barriers between people living in poverty and access to safe water and sanitation. One of their solutions is small, affordable loans that empower people to get access to safe water and sanitation at home. By providing affordable financing, Water.org is able to help people overcome the financial barriers that often prevent them from accessing safe water and sanitation.
These loans are provided through WaterCredit, which is a program that connects microfinance institutions to capital markets. The program has been successful in mobilizing more than $4.1 billion in capital to support small loans that bring access to safe water and sanitation to millions of people in need. This innovative approach has helped more than 52 million people around the world turn on a tap or safely use a toilet because they were empowered with access to safe water and sanitation at home.
Within communities that don't have access to safe water, women are the most affected by the water crisis, and women are finding value in financing a water connection or toilet. With water and toilets connected at home, women are able to do more than collect water, like work or care for family. Their repaid loans create a healthy lending system that makes loans possible for more households.
Water.org also partners with foundations, financial institutions, and brands like TO112 that share their passion and vision to change lives with safe water in 11 countries around the world. Their founders, Matt Damon and Gary White, have worked independently to help break down barriers between people in need and access to safe water. A common goal to pioneer smart solutions to the water crisis brought them together, and their combined water and sanitation expertise and star-power have allowed Water.org to emerge as a leader in the water and sanitation sector.
This means more families can experience the time savings of access to safe water and sanitation at home. It’s a cycle that continues to reach more people, creating new opportunities for families around the world.
Our Commitment at TO112 to Water.Org
The hair industry is known for its excessive water use. As a hair care brand, we wanted to help solve the global water crisis and this is why we partnered with Water.Org to provide clean water to communities in need around the world.
TO112 has partnered with Water.org since 2017 to help end the global water crisis. Through this partnership, TO112 has committed to donating $1 from every TO112 Hand & Body Wash sold to Water.org to help fund water projects in developing countries. To date, we have donated over $2,500 to Water.org. As a brand that is committed to doing good in the world, we will continue to donate $1 from every TO112 Hand & Body Wash sold until the global water crisis is solved. We hope you will join us in our mission to provide clean water to communities in need around the world. To learn more about Water.org and how you can help, visit water.org
We must work together today, to ensure clean water for tomorrow.
Clean water is a precious resource that we must all work together to protect and conserve. From the oceans to our faucets, water plays a critical role in sustaining life, supporting public health, promoting economic development, and maintaining environmental sustainability.
It is important to recognize the interconnectedness of our water systems and the impact that our actions have on them. Whether we live near the coast or in the heart of a city, we all have a role to play in protecting and conserving our water resources.
Through education, awareness, and action, we can ensure that future generations have access to clean and safe water. This includes taking steps to reduce water usage, properly disposing of hazardous materials, supporting sustainable water management practices, and advocating for policies that protect our water resources.
By working together, we can ensure that clean water remains a fundamental resource for our planet's health and prosperity